Thursday, March 24, 2011

Alibaba.com--Assignment 9

I think the video on Blue Rock BBQ was informative on how Alibaba.com can help establish a business and market that business.  The video talks about the trade manager part of Alibaba.com where you can instant message suppliers that you find on Alibaba.com.  I think Marie made a good decision to go to China and visit with the supplier so she could have that hands on experience.  I think anyone using this service would benefit from visiting the supplier, even though the suppliers are verified by Alibaba.com to be legit.  It is always a good idea to see firsthand what you are going to receive.  The way Marie described Alibaba.com showed that the website and the service it provides is easy to use.

I chose to read the success story of Valerie Johnson and her company, Big Feet Pajama.  She basically started this company from the basement of her home.  The article states that she had no product sourcing experience, but managed to take her idea and grow it into a business that did $1.8 million in sales last year.  She found the manufacturer that fit her company idea through Alibaba.com. She managed to make adult footed pajamas abroad and have them shipped into the U.S. I thought this story was inspiring, in that she had an idea and made it come to life with the help of Alibaba.com

I also took a look at some of the things under the Small Biz Toolbox.  Some things I learned was that it is very easy to browse their website and search Alibaba.com to find a product that you are looking for.  I also learned that you can actually chat with suppliers online and contact them directly through email. I also learned how to verify sellers by looking for Gold Suppliers.  I also learned on a couple of other links that there are grants available through the government to start your own business. I also found a template for writing a business plan.  Overall the experience I had browsing Alibaba.com was informative, learning experience and worth my time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment